The Club has existed on this site since February 1888 and at that time was known as Whitchurch Lawn Tennis and Bowling Club. Initially there was one bowling green and six tennis courts.
The pavilion alongside the bowling green was built almost immediately and the Club was officially opened on 17th July 1888 by Lady Margaret Ormsby–Gore, who was the first President. A large number attended the opening and they were entertained by the “exquisite band of volunteers “who played a number of musical selections.
In those days Ladies were only allowed to play on the bowling green between 1.30pm and 6pm one day a week and were not allowed to bowl in the league. The “Ladies green” was laid in 1934 and officially opened on 8th May 1935. In 1943 the Ladies were invited to put a team into the Whitchurch League, – this being the first Ladies team in Shropshire (no mixed sex teams in those days).
In 1956 a small extension was built on the front of the old pavilion and a bar was opened. Floodlights were installed on the men’s green in 1960 at a cost of £188 and on the ladies green in 1971. The tennis courts were closed in 1966 due to lack of interest.
A new club house was built with money from the sale of a plot of land for two houses, and the first meeting in the new clubhouse was held on 20th August 1977.
The club has gone from strength to strength since, now fielding 23 teams (most of them mixed) who play in 6 different leagues, with teams from beginners to Premier League. There is now a membership of around 160.
The Club has a mixed membership, with all ages welcome from 9 to 90.
Tuition given, every ability welcome. Everyone has the opportunity to take part in league bowling.
NEW MEMBERS WELCOME